In these unprecedented times, it’s easy to forget to take care of yourself, both inside and out. If you find yourself feeling overwhelmed, take a step back and engage in some me-time! Self-love is absolutely critical to your well being. After all, YOU are the machine that drives you through life. If you neglect your body’s needs, the machine breaks down, and you are incapable of moving forward. You deserve to engage your physical and emotional needs. Our relationships with ourselves directly influence our relationships with others. A positive mind-body dialogue radiates warmth into the universe! If we don’t love ourselves, how can we productively share our love with others?
Focusing on your wellness and inner peace is just as important as being productive. Be sure to really give yourself space to breathe, ease the anxiety you may be feeling, and shower yourself with positive affirmations. (If you don’t believe these positive affirmations, repeat them again and again until you do!) Even though things right now are tough, you’re strong enough to keep on going.
There are hundreds of different ways to show self-love, but here are some of my favorite ways to say “thank you” to my mind and body:
1. Pause for a yoga break and take the time to meditate! Think about what you love about yourself, joyous things that make you happy, and what you’re grateful for in your life! Oftentimes, a moment of reflection can center your focus, and reestablish a sense of gratitude.
2. Catch up on your favorite TV show while eating a mug cake! Everything is better in a mug; trust me on this. But if you prefer normal sized cakes, that’s okay too. Do whatever you need to do to help you unwind and relieve the stress!
3. Take some time everyday to write in a gratitude journal; they don’t have to be long entries! You can also use a journal as a safe space to store your thoughts. Making the conscious decision to track the ebb and flow of your emotions helps heal your mind-body dialogue, allowing you to adequately address your needs.
4. Have a breakdown dance session! Blast your favorite tunes and dance like no one’s watching! I personally love jamming out to my nostalgia playlist. *Cue “Nobody’s Perfect” by Hannah Montana*
5. Call a close friend and set aside an afternoon to catch up! Without time constraints or pressure to talk about anything specific, you can explore a wide range of topics, and genuinely engage with your pal. I promise, you’ll leave the conversation feeling so refreshed and fulfilled.
6. Disconnect from social media and take a relaxing bath with your favorite candles and essential oils! Let yourself chill and unwind. The internet can be an overwhelming place. It is okay to disconnect, and immerse yourself in the sensory world. This can serve as an excellent grounding technique, especially if you are feeling anxious.
Just remember- you deserve to focus on yourself! Self care is not selfish. You make the best decisions for yourself, and you can pave the way for a genuinely positive, constructive routine! Things might look bleak in the present moment, but you have the power to lift yourself up. Hang in there, lovelies! We are in this together.
Written by: Christy Wong