We all can get stuck in a routine. With work and school occupying our time, It’s bound to happen! There are many benefits to having consistency, but one downside is life can start to feel a little blah. Thankfully, there are things you can do to make life more pleasurable without compromising your routine.1. Use Your Senses to Increase Your Pleasure
Sensuality is often associated with sexual pleasure, but the art of sensuality is about overall physical pleasure, too! Physical pleasure can infuse some much-needed pizazz into your routine—and it’s easy! Here are ways to use your senses for more pleasure:
- Swaddle yourself in fuzzy blankets.
- Get a massage (from a professional, from a friend, or possibly a lover?).
- Snuggle with a partner, friend, or pet.
- Wear extra soft or silky fabrics that feel good on your body.
- Self-touch: have a self-love night and give yourself permission to do whatever makes your body feel good. Whatever self-pleasure means for you, get it!
- Try new and intriguing recipes.
- Buy a pack of gum/mints with fun flavors.
- Go to Costco and try the food samples.
- Have a solo dinner date at a restaurant you’ve never been to.
- Rearrange or redecorate part of your home. Consider how you want to feel in your space and choose items that bring that energy.
- Make a collage of things you like to look at and hang it somewhere you’ll see it often. You could also make a digital collage and use it as a wallpaper on your phone.
- Take a beauty walk! Stroll around and capture pics of all the lovely little things you see. If you train your eye to find beauty, you’ll start noticing more and more wonderful things in the world. Over time, this makes everyday travel more enjoyable.
- Make a new playlist, for different moods, seasons, or life events.
- Find a new podcast that piques your curiosity.
- Go to a sound bath. A sound bath is a meditative experience that immerses you in different therapeutic sound waves.
- Sing out loud to yourself (without shame!).
- Use essential oils during your morning or evening routine.
- Find a perfume you like and make it your new signature scent.
- Take a class to learn how to make perfume or candles.
- Buy some candles or an aromatherapy diffuser.
Routines get boring because they’re repetitive. Indulging your curiosity can spark some excitement, opening you up to feelings of wonder and joy!
Take some time to journal and think about what things you might be interested in. From there, start researching ways to get involved in whatever hobby, activity, or social event you’re gravitating toward.3. Pleasure and Mindfulness
One aspect of mindfulness is being present. Being present means that you’re fully in this moment. You’re not thinking about the past or future, or distracting yourself from what’s going on right. now.
If you take the time to slow down and really settle into the present moment, you might discover so many positive things that you weren’t aware of before. Whether there’s something good happening around you, such as a supportive family or a cozy bedroom, or inside of you, such as feeling calm and happy, practicing mindfulness can help you appreciate these wonderful things.
There’s a lot of pleasure and fun available to all of us - free of charge. It’s up to you to find out what you like, and allow yourself to go for it!
Written by: Samantha Bothwell